[Nottingham] Postfix - again...

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sun Oct 16 00:28:39 BST 2005

David Aldred wrote:
[---]
> I did wonder if Postfix was identifying that the suffix familyaldred.org.uk
> was 'local' (since this machine's hostname is main.familyaldred.org.uk,
> though the MX for familyaldred.org.uk doesn't point here).  However, my
> second address doesn't involve this suffix, so shouldn't be affected!

Yes, Postfix does try to be very clever about keeping local mail local.

Consider carefully what IP address you have for your domain and how that
fits in.

I use the domain "ml1.co.uk" to keep local lan stuff local and it works
fine.

In /etc/hosts I have:
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.1.254           muse06.ml1.co.uk muse06 server

amongst lots of other stuff. I leave the IP address and reverse DNS for
the NTL cable modem IP address set to whatever NTL set.

Look at the mail headers to see what postfix is doing. It is very good
at /not/ losing mail. Whatever you post will be sent or will be on your
machine /somewhere/.

> Anyone got a nice clean brick wall for me to bang my head against for a bit?

Its all a matter of concepts and terminology. Socrates was giving people
a hard time on such stuff a few thousand years ago!

And you have offlist mail.

Good luck,

martin at ml1.co.uk