[Nottingham] Configuring a basic web/FTp server

Robert Hart enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk
Sun Oct 16 22:49:00 BST 2005

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, Graham Greenwood wrote:

> Thank you for the reply Robert but I am unable to install third party
> application so PUTTY and Rsync are out of the question.  FTP seems to be my
> only choose due to XP basic FTP functionality.

Well, putty doesn't need installing to run, so as long as you have some
filespace (which you clearly do, otherwise you wouldn't have files to
sync!) it's a viable solution, unless you don't have permission to run
arbitrary executables.
(Also at university network speeds, it's not unthinkable to download it
everytime you want to run it.)

Many program are fine being run without being installed. I used to have a
lite-ish install of cygwin in my network folder with a .reg file that I
would put needed stuff in HKEY_CURRENT_USER. (oddly although the site in
question had blocked interactive use of regedit, you could still insert
(and I guess overwrite) arbitrary crap in the registry this way, but
that's getting seriously OT)

Rob