[Nottingham] Postfix - again...

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Tue Oct 18 21:18:46 BST 2005

On Sunday 16 Oct 2005 00:26, Martin wrote:
> Look at the mail headers to see what postfix is doing. It is very good
> at /not/ losing mail. Whatever you post will be sent or will be on your
> machine /somewhere/.

Found the test mails - in /var/spool/mail/postfix

The problem would appear to be this (receiving domain & IP removed!)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; david@*******
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host *******[***.***.***.***] said:
    550-Verification failed for <root at main.familyaldred.org.uk>
550-unrouteable
    mail domain "main.familyaldred.org.uk" 550 Sender verify failed (in reply
    to RCPT TO command)

As I read it, the mail is failing because the machine it's coming from
(main.familyaldred.org.uk is its local name) hasn't any sort of public
listing - so the receiving server can't verify it's legit.  (Interestingly,
it does look as though mail from root made it off-site, even if it got no
further).

Presumably the reason mail to some addresses (specifically gmail.com) did get
through is that some servers are less picky!

Is there any easy way round this?

--
David Aldred