[Nottingham] Strange random reboot problem with Mandriva 2006: tentatively [SOLVED]

Devin Giddings ppxadg at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Oct 19 12:39:09 BST 2005

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 12:00:47PM +0100, Peter Aldred wrote:

> It's an Nvidia Geforce FX 5200. The driver is the latest proprietary
> one that installed out of the box with Mandriva 2006, also
> downloadable from Nvidia's website, version 7676.
>
> Performance is overall very good, Planet Penguin Racer (the new name
> for TuxRacer) renders very nicely, as do the GL screensavers. I've
> also enable the composite extension (lovely gui - windows in the
> background become slightly translucent, when you move a window it
> drops to 25% opacity so you can see what behind, everything fades in
> and out :) ) and there's no slowdown in speed.

As a random thought, have you tried disabling the composite extenstion?
The nvidia drivers normally disable GLX when composite is being used,
and the readme for the drivers says to enable them both "AT YOUR OWN
RISK".

Having said that, I use both with a Geforce 2 and don't get anything
worse than a little graphical corruption when semi-transparent objects
refresh behind something running full screen. The GL screensavers did
used to lockup my work machine Intel Extreme(ly rubbish) II onboard
graphics, which used the i830 driver with "wait ring" errors. Using new
x.org with the i915 driver fixed that.

d.
--
Please ignore the following disclaimer.