[Nottingham] Strange random reboot problem with Mandriva 2006: tentatively [SOLVED]

Peter Aldred peter at aldred.org
Wed Oct 19 13:03:57 BST 2005

On 19/10/05, Devin Giddings <ppxadg at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 12:00:47PM +0100, Peter Aldred wrote:
> >
> > It's an Nvidia Geforce FX 5200. The driver is the latest proprietary
> > one that installed out of the box with Mandriva 2006, also
> > downloadable from Nvidia's website, version 7676.
> >
> > Performance is overall very good, Planet Penguin Racer (the new name
> > for TuxRacer) renders very nicely, as do the GL screensavers. I've
> > also enable the composite extension (lovely gui - windows in the
> > background become slightly translucent, when you move a window it
> > drops to 25% opacity so you can see what behind, everything fades in
> > and out :) ) and there's no slowdown in speed.
>
> As a random thought, have you tried disabling the composite extenstion?
> The nvidia drivers normally disable GLX when composite is being used,
> and the readme for the drivers says to enable them both "AT YOUR OWN
> RISK".

Intriguing. I was aware you had to sent it to enable both at once, but
obviously didn't get far enough through the readme to find the
warning!

I may try that - I'll have to decide whather I want GLX or composite.
Not sure at the moment, as MPlayer also disagrees with the composite -
it displays a blue window instead of video (oddly, Kaffeine plays
fine). I'm also not sure about the transparency of background windows,
could live without that, but the fade to 25% opacity when moving a
window looks great and the fade in/out of windows is very nice -
anyone know any way of doing these without the composite and without
thrashing the CPU?

--
Pete