[Nottingham] LAN party afterglow or aftermath?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Oct 19 14:02:24 BST 2005

Folks,

A delayed response from me: Time flies far too fast, and no it isn't
just recovery from the LAN party!

I think we had a good session and the new venue worked well. A few
extension leads and the very generous efforts from the Michaels made it
all work well, many thanks there.

And I was singularly unable to offload my old Mac (minus monitor) and
instead came back home with even more junk! (Thanks Michael again. I'll
admit it is useful junk as will be seen at tonight's talk Wed 19/10/05.)

Michael E has put a few pics up on:
http://www.nottingham.lug.org.uk/lanparty-051009/

I like how pic #2 catches the main participants in full lecture (oops,
discussion/demonstration) mode!

I've had a talk with ADR Comms ( http://ineedbroadband.co.uk/ ) about
the internet link and it looks like we tried to jump in on the wrong
aerial! Next time, we need to sort out a wireless BRIDGE that can be
properly configured rather than the semi-automated confusion we had with
the ad-hoc devices that we tried. At least it did make for a comparison
of WiFi devices and educated me that some of the devices are rather
restrictive with the firmware...

The donations in the tin covered the room ok, and we were invited back.
Great to see some new faces there and there were some very interesting
discussions. We also received a donation of £10 for group funds, thank
you kindly that person.

With a new install or two, and a good bit of fun: it was a good session
I think. A few GBytes were transferred across the LAN but we didn't get
up to the expected LAN playing. Even so, we did play some computer
games. Watching an expert navigate through Doom III was an interesting
distraction.

The real killer for me: Just two afternoon beers! (Zonk)

And after clearing up, four of us went for a stonkin' good Cantonese
deeper into Beeston.

All good fun.

Many thanks to all whom helped and made it work. Special thanks to
Michael E for all the equipment that made it all easily work well.

See you folks at the same venue for tonight's talk!

Have fun,

martin at ml1.co.uk