[Nottingham] [Talk] ***TODAY*** Wed 19/10/2005 Voice over IP {ML}

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 19 16:33:11 BST 2005

On Wednesday 19 October 2005 16:01, Robert Hart wrote:
> Just had a flick through the less man page. Hopefully when utf-8 becomes a
> bit more standard, they'll be able to get past the limit of only using
> upper and lower case latin for command line options, by using greek and
> cyrillic as well!

Yup, its footprint and spec are somewhat more than head or tail

> For bonus points, whilst we're on the subject, why to head and tail not
> work in exactly the same way? (i.e. you can do tail +10 but not head +10)

When using tail, a '+' denotes the n'th item from the start rather than a '-'
denoting the n'th item from the end. This feature just doesn't exist in head
(different program, different spec)  but if it were then arguably it would
mean output the head until the n'th item from the end which is less useful
(?).

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--