[Nottingham] [Talk] ***TODAY*** Wed 19/10/2005 Voice over IP {ML}

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Oct 21 17:07:08 BST 2005

Mike Cardwell wrote:
> * on the Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 12:42:21PM +0100, Martin wrote:
>
>>Following on from the talk, a few links to expand on what I discussed:
>
> I have some comments too.

Good stuff.

>>AsteriskAtHome (Asterisk + GUI + Full distro)
>>http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20at%20%20Home
>>http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/
>

> I've installed Asterisk at home on a box here and it was *scarily* easy.
[---]
> I'm having difficulty configuring it up at the moment. I have managed to
> integrate it with sipgate.co.uk which is a very good service. You sign
[---]
> The problem I'm having is I can't get Asterisk to understand what to do
> with the incoming call when it arrives. I've no idea what's going on at

Its all in the dial plan if you have already jumped through your
firewalling and any NAT.

[---]
> Once I have this working I intend to buy and install one of these:
> http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=product_detail&category=hardware&product=TDM400P
> so I can plug my asterisk box into my normal phone line and integrate
> normal incoming/outgoing calls into Asterisk as well.

Yep, a good idea. If you only have one external line, then you could
also use an X100 and ATA adapters. Depends on what you want and how much.

> Ah yes. One thing that confused me in the meeting was that it was
> suggested that Skype could work with Asterisk. As far as I understand
> Skype uses a completely proprierty and closed network protocol and

They certainly started out that as have others (including the BT
trials). I was under the impression that everything had been opened up
for cross-working. I've not checked lately so I'll be interested in what
you have found.

Good luck,

martin at ml1.co.uk