[Nottingham] Domain Registration Issues

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 16:10:46 BST 2005

On 25/10/05, Mike Haber <Mike.Haber at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,
> Ok so say I have a domain, www.mycrappydomain.co.uk and it's costing about £200 a year for redirection to a server I own. I want to pay less, so can I just stop paying my current redirector and then buy the domain from say 123reg at a cheaper rate when it becomes available? Or is there an easier way?

You could do that, but someone else might grab it before you and put
some crummy search site on it getting revenue from your expired
domain. You can move it to another provider. You find a provider you
want to use and get the domain de-tagged from whoever it's currently
with and get the new people to grab it. You need to do this before it
expires too.

Most providers have some kind of support for this type of activity.
Some of the nasty ones charge you through the nose for it though.

Cheers,
Al.