[Nottingham] Installing Ubuntu

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Oct 26 16:31:12 BST 2005

Kenneth Huggins wrote:
> Michael / Robert / Michael ... many thanks for those thoughts ... and
> the Ubuntu wiki info.  I really appreciate you taking the time to help
> out, and trust I won't be a virgin too much longer (:o))

Welcome to the group.

You should find that most people on here are very helpful and helpful
for /enjoying/ the Linux Learning Curve ;-)

> Where can I
> find the 'fine manual' referred to ?  There's nothing on the CD that I

One good place is:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDocumentation

Linux systems are usually very well behaved and kindly towards other
systems. You usually get a few warnings _before_ your hard disk gets
written to. The first thing is to take the time to read and understand
all the messages and prompts before the next mouse click. Linux is very
different to the Microsoft "blindly (blithely) click it all away" mentality.

You'll be welcome at our next meet up for various hints and tips (and a
good Indian Curry). Some of us could even be persuaded for an impromptu
meetup in Beeston soonish...

Small hint: Please post TEXT only. Most html postings get trapped as
spam and need me to accept them for the maillist. Lots of clicks!

Regards,
Martin

http://www.nottingham.lug.org.uk/

martin at ml1.co.uk