[Nottingham] Awareness day

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Oct 27 22:03:53 BST 2005

Michael Simms wrote:
[---]
> Yesterday we had a small meeting regarding the awareness day, and Duncan
> shoved my head up against the wall and forced me to volunteer for some
> stuff {:-)

So /that's/ why we never get people to volunteer more than once! :-O

> So, I am going to be asking for some help from LUG members.
>
> Below is a list of things and how you can help.
>
> Posters:
> We have a number of posters that are available on the website (erm,

http://www.nottingham.lug.org.uk/AwarenessDays/200511/

Although there ain't much in there at this instant. Arse-kick required!
(More behind the scenes stuff :-( )

> someone say where, I forget). If each LUG member were to print out
> between 2 and 5 of these and go to local shops and ask if they can be
> put up in windows, that would be great and really help to get the word
> out. DO NOT just put them in places without permission.
>
> Slashdot:
> On a day closer to the event, we will try and get slashdot to post a
> story about the awareness day. It is fact that if many people submit a
> story to slashdot, it is likely it will get put on their site, and a LOT
> of website trafic will come from that. DO NOT POST ANYTHING TO THEM YET.
> I will a) say when, and b) put up a quick guide to HOW to submit a story
> to /.
>
> Letters:
> I will be putting 100 letters into envelopes and snail mailing them to
> businesses in nottingham. I dont know 100 nottingham companies (Im not
> going through the yellow pages).
> I would like each LUG member that can, to think up 5 companies in
> Nottingham that could benefit from Linux, who may be open to new
> information, and who may be likely to make an appearence. I dont mean
> your local corner store, they wont need it, and I dont mean marks and
> sparks, they wont care. Small to medium nottingham companies. Like a
> lawyers office, or an accountant or the place you work if you use
> computers. Tech companies of course, things like that. Also, if you are
> near a school or have kids in school, include the school in the list
> (not the universities). DO NOT send them now, I need to work out a
> format I need the in, but start thinking of some.
>
> More information in the next couple of days as I get more organised.

Good stuff Michael, thanks.

Group effort with this should make for a big event.

martin at ml1.co.uk