[Nottingham] Connect 3D Radeon 7000 AGP and Five Button Mouse info

Robert Hart enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Oct 27 22:47:53 BST 2005

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Duncan John Fyfe wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 15:12 +0100, Tony Shaw wrote:
> > Hello to one and all,
> >
> > I am currently looking to upgrade my system and I was wondering if a
> > Connect 3D Radeon 7000 32MB AGP graphics card (it uses the ATI chipset,)
> > would work with MDK 9.2.
> >
> Hmm, this question seems familiar...
>
> We have 'Radeon 7000/VE's in the machines at work.  If all you need is a
> 2D graphics card they are fine.  For anything 3D they are worthless -
> Tuxracer with not very good resolution might manage 1/5 frame per
> second.  My laptop does far better with it's onboard graphics card
> sharing system RAM.

I have a Radeon 9000 and that works fine with the x.org driver. Runs
tuxracer at 60 fps, so I'm surprised by what you say. The radeon man page
lists the Radeon 7000 as supported.

Having said that, I wouldn't especially recommend them either. Seems like
there are very few options if you want a well supported 3D graphics card
under linux.

Rob

--