[Nottingham] Awareness day

Michael Simms michael at tuxgames.com
Thu Oct 27 17:04:33 BST 2005

This is a re-post. My mails to the list were being accidentally rejected
fro the last few weeks.

Im about to post a few emails again, now I know its working. Thanks

This one is from Monday.

Greetings all,

Yesterday we had a small meeting regarding the awareness day, and Duncan
shoved my head up against the wall and forced me to volunteer for some
stuff {:-)

So, I am going to be asking for some help from LUG members.

Below is a list of things and how you can help.

Posters:
We have a number of posters that are available on the website (erm,
someone say where, I forget). If each LUG member were to print out
between 2 and 5 of these and go to local shops and ask if they can be
put up in windows, that would be great and really help to get the word
out. DO NOT just put them in places without permission.

Slashdot:
On a day closer to the event, we will try and get slashdot to post a
story about the awareness day. It is fact that if many people submit a
story to slashdot, it is likely it will get put on their site, and a LOT
of website trafic will come from that. DO NOT POST ANYTHING TO THEM YET.
I will a) say when, and b) put up a quick guide to HOW to submit a story
to /.

Letters:
I will be putting 100 letters into envelopes and snail mailing them to
businesses in nottingham. I dont know 100 nottingham companies (Im not
going through the yellow pages).
I would like each LUG member that can, to think up 5 companies in
Nottingham that could benefit from Linux, who may be open to new
information, and who may be likely to make an appearence. I dont mean
your local corner store, they wont need it, and I dont mean marks and
sparks, they wont care. Small to medium nottingham companies. Like a
lawyers office, or an accountant or the place you work if you use
computers. Tech companies of course, things like that. Also, if you are
near a school or have kids in school, include the school in the list
(not the universities). DO NOT send them now, I need to work out a
format I need the in, but start thinking of some.

More information in the next couple of days as I get more organised.

Thanks
--
Michael Simms - CEO, Tux Games
http://www.tuxgames.com