[Nottingham] Remote KDE desktop.

David Wolfson eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Sep 1 09:23:30 BST 2005

Edgar,

> What is the easiest way for me to log into my London KDE desktop remotely and
> use it as if I was logged in locally.
>
> Try looking at NoMachine NX at http://www.nomachine.com/ They provide
> compressed X over SSH and it is damned fast. See also the free NX
> server at http://freenx.berlios.de/ You'll need packages for your
> distro or else to compile the libraries from nomachine by hand.

I can second this one. Setup is pretty easy (I managed the whole lost from ssh), and the conection is quicker than anyting else I've seen.

>rdesktop is one i have heard good things of, but I have not used it yet.
I use this to connect to winXP remote desktop session. Its incorporated into NX as nxdesktop, where it allows an nx server to tunnel (not sure if that is the right term here...) to a RDP server inside the firewall, meaning that only one machine need to have an open ssh port to allow access to rdp...

Dave