[Nottingham] Woody to Sarge

Matt nottlug at spandex.nildram.co.uk
Thu Sep 1 13:34:33 BST 2005

Anyone else recently moved from Woody to Sarge? I was a real Debian
evangelist after moving from rpm to apt.. but this upgrade has caused
me loads of hassle.

I'm currently trying to work out why one of my boxes can't set the
network up.  It looks like it tries to load 2 drivers for its 8139
NIC, and one fails... but then it doesn't actually configure the
network.  I'm having to manually "ifconfig" and add routes.

Also, POP3 and IMAP mail broke... admittedly there was info in the
docs that told you how to fix this, but it took me a good few hours to
find the problem.  My previous Debian evangelism was based on the fact
that "You can keep it up to date really easily and never have to worry
about dependencies".

Apologies for a mail with little content.. I just needed to grumble
somewhere where people might understand :) Maybe I'll feel better once
my boxen are all happy again.

Matt