[Nottingham] NottsLUG Website revamp

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 9 12:29:46 BST 2005

On Friday 09 September 2005 11:32, Matt wrote:
> ME> I vote for beer! What's wrong with beer? Beer is the ONE SINGLE
> ME> THING that we actually physically do together.
>
> My £0.0109 worth
>
> LUGs do have an offputting (for some people) "beardy real ale"
> image... and not everyone on NottLUG attends the beer drinking
> meetings. Perhaps some are even put off by the idea of pub and beers?
> I dunno.

And at the meetings you'll find beardy real ale types. I know for a fact that
some are put off by the pub but at the moment (and please correct me if I'm
mistaken) all regular meeting attendees seem to like the pub. There's are
some great documents about Linux advocacy that everyone concerned should read
and mull over: -
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/misc.html#MISCADV
...and quite especially...
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Encourage-Women-Linux-HOWTO/index.html
...which very sensibly covers the issues regarding making groups move
accessible venue-wise. (BTW: those who actually attend meetings may have
noticed that we are breaking records on female attendance)

HOWEVER: if anyone wants to find us a better regular social venue, PLEASE do
so. Be aware that some of us will want to get drunk there :)

> Personally, I have a hairy face and spend too much time in my local...
> but there's something about the "penguin with beer" that screams
> "Comic Book Guy" to me :)

Yup - and it's a fine stereotype (as far as stereotypes go).

> I can't offer an alternative tho, because I can't draw to save my
> life.

Message to all: produce something better and we'll use it ;)

--
HOW YOU CAN TELL THAT IT'S GOING TO BE A ROTTEN DAY:
 #1040 Your income tax refund cheque bounces.