[Nottingham] Postfix problem...

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Sun Sep 11 00:16:31 BST 2005

I've been blaming leafnode for a problem posting to moderated groups, and it
turns out to be postfix...

mailq produces the following (arising from attempts to post to a moderated
group - for testing purposes after a bit I set the moderation address to be
my own email to avoid annoying people):

[root at main david]# mailq
-Queue ID- --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient-------
853701002C6      939 Sat Sep 10 00:03:44  news at main.familyaldred.org.uk
                                         uk-religion-christian at usenet.org.uk

87D6D1004F7      353 Sat Sep 10 19:32:25  root at main.familyaldred.org.uk
                                         david at familyaldred.org.uk
<snip other similar messages>

37C45100333     1165 Sat Sep 10 15:37:58  news at main.familyaldred.org.uk
                (delivery temporarily suspended: unknown mail transport error)
                                         david at familyaldred.org.uk
<snip other similar messages>

/var/log/errors contains lots of things like this:

Sep 10 23:08:24 main postfix/smtp[30707]: fatal: unknown service: smtp/tcp
Sep 10 23:08:24 main postfix/smtp[30705]: fatal: unknown service: smtp/tcp

The Postfix faq indicates that this is because "Your
Postfix /etc/postfix/master.cf file specifies that the Postfix SMTP client
runs inside a chroot environment. However, the files necessary for that mode
of operation are not installed below /var/spool/postfix."

It tells me either to disable the chroot in /etc/postfix/master.cf or to
install the necessary files for chroot operation, referring me to an examples
file which contains a script for an old Suse installation.

I've tried the disabling chroot bit (all that involves is changing a'y' to 'n'
in the config file & reloading postfix) - it makes no difference.

Before I get into this Suse script and try to work out what I need to do for
Mandriva 2005, has anyone any other suggestions/advice?  The thing was
working two days ago, and I'm not aware of having done anything to upset it!

--
David Aldred