[Nottingham] Postfix problem...

Simon Amor simon at leaky.org
Sun Sep 11 20:35:39 BST 2005

>> Failing that, have you tried strace to see exactly what the postfix
>> processes are doing?
>>

> I have to say that, even having had a look at the man pages, I
> really don't
> know what command to use!
>
> What do I feed to strace to find out how postfix is handling
> mail?   strace
> postfix just tells me how postfix handles an incorrect call!

That depends - is postfix running as a daemon? If so, you need to
find it's pid and do something like:

strace -p12345 -f -F

That should trace all the system calls of pid 12345 and any children.
You then send the email in the normal way and see what it does with it.

If it's something you run from the command line, just pass it all the
parameters you'd normally give it.

strace -fF postfix --somearg --otherarg

The -f -F tells it to trace any children.

You can pass strace extra parameters that tell it to record the
output into a text file instead of dumping to the screen.. something
like -o filename but best to check the manpage.

    Simon
--
Simon Amor
simon at leaky.org