[Nottingham] Mailing list etiquette

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Wed Sep 14 22:27:25 BST 2005

Hello all

As you're probably all aware, we've had a bit of a discussion regarding
top-posting today. I couldn't help noticing one or two other bits of
impoliteness creeping in (in terms of etiquette) and felt compelled to
mention them:

1. Try not to top-post (done to death).

2. Try not to excessively over-quote.

3. Don't change subject when replying to a thread. If you want to start
a new thread, start a new thread - my threading reader has gone bonkers
today, as the "digest" thread has actually turned into "Sig snip offs",
"Geekiness", "Top posting laziness", "Ubuntu mail", "Broadband Speeds"
and "Braodband and Linksys routers". All at the same time. Talk about
subject forking :)

As an aside, an ex colleague of mine once mentioned that my
(traditional "quote the bits you need and put relevant comments after
each bit") method of replying to messages was unintelligible as they
kept having to read what they had just written. It was a point, I
suppose, but the goodness of it was debatable!

Nighty night

Graeme