[Nottingham] Linksys route of all evil or nay?

Robert Postill robert at grinning-cat.com
Wed Sep 14 23:25:19 BST 2005

martin lowther wrote:

> I use a linksys router aswell and the gui configuration is simple and
> works - if you get the g version u can flash it with a version of
> linux if you are so inclined.

I must admit the three pieces of Linksys kit I have used/am using
(BEFSR11, WRT54G and SD208) are all perfectly passable cheapo kit.

Now I do know a couple of details about the linksys kit, but not half as
much as http://www.linksysinfo.org who have a complete set of embedded
device freaks hacking those little blue boxes to death :)  The hardware
details are a 100-200MHz chip (various manufacterers dependant on your
version of hardware) 16MB of RAM and 4MB of flash.  A number of people
seem to mount NFS/Samba to expand the available space and there a couple
of efforts to revamp the GPL image with something better.

Robert.