[Nottingham] Local mail server - again.....

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Thu Sep 15 22:07:14 BST 2005

I asked a while ago about ideas for setting up a mailserver on my main machine
to allow other people to read/post from other machines on teh network.
Thanks to those who replied: I shelved it because the methods suggested
didn't quite do what I wanted, but my ideas of 'what I wanted' were a bit
vague.

The problem is this:  in this house, some of us check email daily (or often
far more frequently!); others only look if I put on my AOL voice and tell
them they have mail!   Currently, KMail is set up to gather all the mail for
everyone who doesn't check regularly, and sort it into KMail directories so
that I can tell who's got mail.  This also allows me to give incoming mail
for the younger children the once-over before telling them about it -
spammers don't know the ages of their targets....

My ideal would be to leave this as it is, but for any user to be able to 'log
in' to any of the KMail directories from any machine.   That would mean
having an IMAP or POP server which used (eg)
/home/david/.Mail/.Family.directory/Ben/cur
as the directory from which mail was served when Ben logs in from another
machine.

Does anyone know whether this is feasible?

--
David Aldred