[Nottingham] RE: Nottingham Digest, Vol 106, Issue 1

Robert Hart enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Sep 26 14:31:38 BST 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 12:31 +0100, Davis, N. wrote:

> I've been trying to get various flavours of Linux onto an old Sony Vaio
> (333Mhz/64Mb RAM). Its difficult because of the PCMCIA external CD-ROM ,
> and external floppy. It boots up from either a CD or a floopy , then
> gets to a certain point and "forgets" where the device as and can't read
> anymore. I managed to get Knoppix to boot and also Damn Small Linux, by
> giving it startup parameters, but didn't like to install to hard drive
> from the liveCD as I heard the resulting system can have problems. SO I
> tried a colleague's VectorLinux (Slackware-based, apparently good for
> low end systems) and that too ground to a halt during install.
> Might bring this machine along to the LAN/Fix-it day if anyone likes a
> challenge. ;-)

Might be easier to do a net install. My laptop (800Mhz, but still only
64Mb RAM) runs Debian Sarge fine, once it has booted. I mainly use it as
a dumb terminal / X server tho for when I want to use the computer
whilst watching TV or in bed.

> FrozenBubble - nice! Great music!

No, it's an evil so-called-game that discriminates against the 10% of us
who are lucky enough to have alternate colour perception.

I've been meaning to patch it to use various shapes  as well as various
colours for about 4 years or so. I think I even filed a bug on it, so
maybe somebody else fixed it.

Rob

--
Robert Hart <enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk>