[Nottingham] Linux Home Recording (was LAN/Fix-it Party DAY Sun 9th Oct 2005)

Spandex nottlug at spandex.nildram.co.uk
Mon Sep 26 17:24:19 BST 2005

RH> I had a brief look at audacity and rosegarden, but to be honest I
RH> got a bit lost. No idea if my soundcard supports full-duplex or
RH> MIDI, and what magic combination of acronyms is required to get it
RH> all working (OSS/ALSA/JACK/gstreamer)

Well worth trying out Dynebolic (a live distro with *lots* of audio
software) to see what you can and can't do on your current machine.
Also runs on chipped Xbox apparently.

I'm very interested in this.. at the moment I use windows for all my
audio stuff... mainly because the Windows/Mac audio software was much
better and partly because I couldn't get audio working (I have an Echo
Layla 20). JACK is the main reason I'm considering setting up a Linux
music machine... and mainly because I want this beautifully simple but
brilliant application http://plugin.org.uk/timemachine/

A friend of mine has just debian'd his iBook (which he uses for music
making as well as work) so I'll let you know how he gets on.

Matt