[Nottingham] LAN party thoughts

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 27 12:59:03 BST 2005

On Tuesday 27 September 2005 12:22, Joshua Lock wrote:
> I'm currently running Kubuntu on my laptop and finding it quite a joy, the
> integration of KDE is amazing (case in point Kontact, which just seems to
> act as a shell for all of the KDE PIM app's. Beautiful!)!

I use and support (K)Ubuntu on a number of machines so I can lend help on
specifics.

> Although Gnome/Gtk+ app's look horrible! :(

I thought that was by design ;)

Seriously though, what's the problem with the gtk apps?

> FYI my major gripes are:
> * m4p's don't show up in my Amarok collection.

Sorry, no idea what they are! (I'm a bit out of touch with recent audio media
formats)

> * My network interface doesn't come up on boot, I have to sudo ifup eth0

dmesg may provide some hints here

> * I can't seem to get the Administrator Mode buttons to work to use the
> GUI's to tweak network settings :s

This is one of the sudo knock-on bugs - are you providing your primary user
password or have you set up a root password?

> Probably easy enough for an experienced KDE/Kubuntu user?
> I think the first point is a limitation of KDE's libtag...

Ah!

> Sorry (again) for posting a huge email.

The email size is fine: all relevant, suitably snipped.

Regards,
Michael Erskine

--
Money can't buy love, but it improves your bargaining position.
  -- Christopher Marlowe