[Nottingham] LAN party thoughts

Joshua Lock joshua.lock at incandescant.net
Tue Sep 27 16:56:28 BST 2005

On Tuesday 27 September 2005 12:54, Michael Erskine wrote:
> I use and support (K)Ubuntu on a number of machines so I can lend help on
> specifics.

Excellent, I'll be tapping you for help then :)

> > Although Gnome/Gtk+ app's look horrible! :(
>
> I thought that was by design ;)
>
> Seriously though, what's the problem with the gtk apps?

They are a bit blocky, maybe horrible was a bit over the top but they don't
look as nice as in Gnome. My main problem is with Swing app's. They do look
terrible!!!

> > FYI my major gripes are:
> > * m4p's don't show up in my Amarok collection.
>
> Sorry, no idea what they are! (I'm a bit out of touch with recent audio
> media formats)

AAC, Advanced Audio Codec. The default iTunes codec.

> > * My network interface doesn't come up on boot, I have to sudo ifup eth0
>
> dmesg may provide some hints here

I'll have a scout around...

> > * I can't seem to get the Administrator Mode buttons to work to use the
> > GUI's to tweak network settings :s
>
> This is one of the sudo knock-on bugs - are you providing your primary user
> password or have you set up a root password?

Primary user's password, do I need to set up a root password?

Josh