[Nottingham] apt-walkabout or similar

Robert Hart enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Sep 27 16:42:08 BST 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 11:08 +0100, Michael Erskine wrote:
> How do other members distribute updates for their apt-based distributions?
> Ideally I'd like to download all updates on a machine with access to
> plentiful bandwidth, store them on some removable media (preferably with
> changelogs too), and provide updates to similarly configured machines with
> less or no bandwidth. I've just stumbled across apt-walkabout and I'm
> currently studying the manpages. I'm looking for "standard practices" if
> there are any!

that sounds useful. I've been using apt-move to create a mini-debian
mirror of the stuff I use for a while, this means I only download most
stuff once. Doesn't help much if your machines aren't networked to each
other.

Before I had broadband at home I would use something like:

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
cp -a /var/lib/apt /mnt/removablemedia/lists
cp /var/apt/cache/archives/*.deb /mnt/removablemedia/packages
apt-get clean

at work and then:

cp -a /mnt/removablemedia/lists /var/lib/apt
cp /mnt/removablemedia/packages/*.deb /var/apt/cache/archives/
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

at home.

Works as long as the size of the update is less than the size of the
removable media, and you remember to do it every time.

--
Robert Hart <enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk>
University of Nottingham