[Nottingham] apt-walkabout or similar

Cam camilo at mesias.co.uk
Tue Sep 27 11:30:59 BST 2005

Michael

> How do other members distribute updates for their apt-based distributions?
> Ideally I'd like to download all updates on a machine with access to
> plentiful bandwidth, store them on some removable media (preferably with
> changelogs too), and provide updates to similarly configured machines with
> less or no bandwidth. I've just stumbled across apt-walkabout and I'm
> currently studying the manpages. I'm looking for "standard practices" if
> there are any!

A simple approach worked for me with yum, I don't know if it's
applicable to apt-get

I made /var/cache/yum a nfs mounted directory. Now everyone shares the
NFS cache.

Accessing a cache on NFS is a little slower than disk, but the benefit
is a given header or rpm is downloaded only once.

-Cam

--
camilo at mesias.co.uk                                                 <--