[Nottingham] looking for an AGP4 graphics card with good Linux support

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 4 11:00:33 BST 2006

A technical question (of all things!),

I run blunt-edge hardware (not wealthy enough to run cutting edge machines!)
and my Athlon 2000 machine shows its age when it comes to Doom3 (playable
until new textures are swapped in). I'm currently running a geforce4mx (NV17)
card with nvidia drivers for Xorg - this card was free so I'm rather pleased
in general. The mainboard (syntax SV266a) will only accept AGP4 - I'm looking
for anything with better performance that the NV17 for a reasonable price.
Perhaps an ATI somethingorother -- I'm not familiar with the ATI product
range at all :)

At the end of the day, the machine is used mostly as a development workstation
but I would like to play xgl with it!

Any guidance would be most welcome.

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
Cats, no less liquid than their shadows, offer no angles to the wind.