[Nottingham] looking for an AGP4 graphics card with good Linux support

A. Devin Giddings ppxadg at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Apr 4 11:42:33 BST 2006

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 11:14:28AM +0100, Michael Simms wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 10:59 +0100, Michael Erskine wrote:
> >
> > and my Athlon 2000 machine shows its age when it comes to Doom3 (playable
> > until new textures are swapped in). I'm currently running a geforce4mx (NV17)
> > card with nvidia drivers for Xorg - this card was free so I'm rather pleased
> > in general. The mainboard (syntax SV266a) will only accept AGP4 - I'm looking
> >

> The gap has closed recently, but Id always recommend nvidia right now. A
> GF6600 will let you run pretty much anything on the market to date (tho
> we have a game in the works that will stutter a little on a 6600) A
> GF7800 is well supported and will likely run anything for the next
> couple of years that we see on Linux, but they are still a bit pricey.

Just to add to that, although the 6600 AGP cards are 8x, they apparently
work fine on 4x motherboards. When my geforce2 died, I was concerned
that any new cards, based on AGP 8x which uses 0.8V, would not work
in the 1.5V AGP 4x slot on my A7V266-E motherboard.

Information about compatibility between AGP versions seems to be
sketchy, but I am now running a 6600 quite happily (using the nvidia
binary drivers), albeit only at 4x interface speed.

d.
--
Please ignore the following disclaimer.