[Nottingham] Re: NTL Nottingham cable broadband changes?

David Bean david at dbean.uklinux.net
Sun Apr 9 14:56:41 BST 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 02:24 +0100, James Gibbon wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 17:58:06 +0100
> Jim <JimTheBad at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> > No, it's far worse: massive packet loss, DNS errors and complete loss of
> > connection for long periods. When it does work it's worse than dial-up.
> > Anybody else getting this? I can see a long phone call to NTL tommorrow. :(
> >

> I have noticed one odd thing with my NTL connection: the SYNC light on
> my modem went off about two weeks ago. It's still off, yet I haven't
> noticed the slightest loss of service .. the only slight oddity is that,
> according to its log, my router reconnected at about midnight on March
> 21st, and was assigned a private IP address .. it reconnected again 7
> minutes later and picked up the previous IP address again this time.
>
> James

It might just be the sync led has failed on the modem. NTL Cable modems
have an internal DHCP server which doles out 192.168 addresses, when the
connection to their network is not available. This caused me a problem
when setting up firewall rules to drop packets coming from private
addresses. It still causes me an issue in that to connect to their
network, their DHCP server is currently 10.251.48.1.

David Bean