[Nottingham] Opensource + Official Views

Karl Ryan karlryan.public at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Apr 9 23:36:41 BST 2006

I shouldn't waste your time trying to get the government to use open source
software... This has already been assessed by the Cabinet Office (last year
as it happens) and they've crapped on it under Microsoft's influence. As
some of you may recall, some time ago, the Department of Health were
planning on doing what government departments had done on the continent and
in Asia and switch to using Linux clients for the new NHS computer system.
Then, at the last minute, Microsoft jumps in and offers not only a volume
licensing solution whose TCO would according to Microsoft be cheaper than
anybody else's, but software support would be much cheaper than Linux
because of all the Microsoft Certified Professionals around.

In case anybody is asking why the government wouldn't commission their own
version of Linux is because it is and will continue to be government policy
to seek out off-the-shelf solutions wherever possible.

Also, Microsoft publish various toilet paper type material which they e-mail
to business and government types alleging that their TCO is lower than Linux
and since nobody from the Linux world ever bothers to dispute this
officially in a way which would appeal to said business/government types
then all the junior civil servants, who like all management types, need to
have some numbers to compare because they can't possibly compare two things
on something as subjective as qualitative data, claim that Microsoft and
(Novell) solutions would be the cheapest to buy, support and use. This would
probably be the reply you would get from any MP's or councils you write to.

By the way, the above argument is also the one used by thousand's of
businesses that run Windows on ThinClients which do nothing but run a web
browser.

That's my 2p anyway.
--
Karl Ryan