[Nottingham] importing domain to own host

Chris Burton Chris at 7of9b.org
Mon Apr 10 18:40:58 BST 2006

> I believe that it's possible to use a registered domain name with a
> dynamic
> IP address (I have bog-standard domestic NTL broadband), by piggybacking
> off
> a dyndns.org subdomain. I already have two of those, which are already
> used
> with my webserver.
>
> Has anyone actually tried this or something similar? I don't really know
> what I'm doing :D

Easiest way if you can use the DNS servers of your registry would be to
combine it with a dynamic dns jobber.

I would CNAME  jamesgibbon.com/www.jamesgibbon.com to your dyndns hostname.
And add an MX pointing to the dyndns name - dont use a CNAME for the MX or
you will upset things ;). Then all you need to worry about is your dyndns
address updating. Mail/web might get bounced/delayed if your IP changes but
its not going to be common with the few IP changes you get.

> Do I need to set up BIND on my own box?

Probably easier not to, especialy if you use a registrar that allows you to
use theirs.

ChrisB.