[Nottingham] Web application development frameworks; Rails vs. Django vs ???

Joshua Lock incandescant at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 13:40:16 BST 2006

On 12 Apr 2006, at 12:21, edam wrote:
> On 11.04.2006 5:21 pm, Joshua Lock wrote:
>> Also I'm not sure what else is out there; there must be similar
>> efforts
>> for PHP, Perl, etc?
>
> Have a look at symfony (www.symfony-project.com).

Thanks Edam, that does actually look quite nice.

> It looks pretty good, I've been reading up on it recently. It
> includes the
> script.aculo.us javascript library (http://script.aculo.us/). It's
> also
> been written to work well with other stuff, like Subversion/CVS,
> phpdoc,
> HTML Tidy. Internally, it uses Propel (object-relational mapping) and
> Mojavi (MVC model) and supports MySQL, PostgreSQL or any other
> database
> that there is a Creole driver for. Plus, there's a couple of cool
> videos on
> the website demonstrating how quickly you can develop a web app!
>
> The only downside I can see is that it requires PHP5, but that's
> probably
> the way forward anyway...

Yeah PHP5 could be a problem...

I think I'm gonna go with Rails. Mainly because 1)there's loads of
resources out there for it 2) I could do with knowing a scripting
language that I can use on the desktop (Ruby/Perl/Python) and I could
do with learning Regular Expressions too.

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Joshua Lock
incandescant at googlemail.com