[Nottingham] Web application development frameworks; Rails vs. Django vs ???

edam edam at waxworlds.org
Wed Apr 12 12:21:14 BST 2006

On 11.04.2006 5:21 pm, Joshua Lock wrote:
> Also I'm not sure what else is out there; there must be similar efforts
> for PHP, Perl, etc?

Have a look at symfony (www.symfony-project.com).

It looks pretty good, I've been reading up on it recently. It includes the
script.aculo.us javascript library (http://script.aculo.us/). It's also
been written to work well with other stuff, like Subversion/CVS, phpdoc,
HTML Tidy. Internally, it uses Propel (object-relational mapping) and
Mojavi (MVC model) and supports MySQL, PostgreSQL or any other database
that there is a Creole driver for. Plus, there's a couple of cool videos on
the website demonstrating how quickly you can develop a web app!

The only downside I can see is that it requires PHP5, but that's probably
the way forward anyway...

--
  edam  -  www.waxworlds.org/edam