[Nottingham] Unkillable process?

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Mon Apr 24 16:39:54 BST 2006

Jo

On 24/04/2006 16:25, Johannes Kling wrote:
<snip>
> I've sent both a TERM, INT and a KILL (several times) but they
> continue to merrily chug along as if nothing's happened.

Try a SIGCONT:

kill -CONT 32143

For some reason I've noticed these days that stracing a running process
occasionally leaves the process in state 'T'; whilst that isn't obvious
here it is worth a try.

Failing that, try to identify what (if any) files, filehandles and/or
sockets the processes have open and see if you can spot where it's got
jammed - for the uninitiated, this is what /usr/sbin/lsof is for (path
may vary).

If you find that it's waiting for some IPC on a file or device which
looks like a file, you can then use 'fuser' to try to kill it; although
the fact you've tried a SIGKILL and failed already doesn't give me much
hope :-/

As a long shot it might be worth sending some of the user-defined
signals (SIGUSR1 and friends) although I wouldn't imagine there's any
handling for them built-in.

Graeme