[Nottingham] Unkillable process?

Johannes Kling jok at printk.net
Mon Apr 24 17:06:41 BST 2006

Hello,

Richard wrote:
> Have you tried kill -9 <pid> or dropping to another runlevel ?

KILL is signal 9, as I understand it, so yes. I don't have physical
access to the machine, so I'm quite reluctant to play with the
runlevels and would prefer avoiding reboot.

Graeme wrote:
> Try a SIGCONT:

No luck, unfortunately :-/. SEGV, PIPE, QUIT, USR1, USR2 and ABRT were
similarly ignored.

Graeme wrote:
> Failing that, try to identify what (if any) files, filehandles and/or
> sockets the processes have open and see if you can spot where it's got
> jammed - for the uninitiated, this is what /usr/sbin/lsof is for (path
> may vary).

The script's got its cwd open, a few libraries; stdout and stderr are
attached to a logfile, stdin seems to be an unconnected pipe. The
patch process has nothing open (as mentioned, though, it looks like a
zombie in /proc).

Regards,
  Johannes

--
"I shall press on valiantly in the face of apathy!" -- cmg