[Nottingham] Server/SMP

Alex Herington alex at fnet.nu
Mon Apr 24 22:24:58 BST 2006

Hi all,

I'm going slightly crazy trying to figure this one out :/

I just bagged a Compaq Proliant 6400R server from eBay. 4x 500MHz Xeons,
2GB RAM, 4x 18GB SCSI HDDs on hardware RAID, came preloaded with
Win2kServer which ran fine. Naturally I want to treat it to some Linux
lovin' so I've installed Fedora Core 5.

The annoying thing is it's only detecting 1 CPU! Or more to the point
it's specifically saying (in dmesg) that it can't detect an SMP capable
motherboard. I know it's an SMP capable kernel. Bumflaps. I've tried
hunting for kernel parameters to pass from GRUB but nothing too useful
there (nosmp and maxcpus, and I tried maxcpus=4).

I don't want to give in and dump something I know is Compaq supported on
there yet like RH7 (plus I can't find any RH7 ISOs!). Can anyone think
of anything I could try? Please? :(

Pulling a late one,
Alex