[Nottingham] Server/SMP

Tom Bird tom at marmot.org.uk
Tue Apr 25 01:50:17 BST 2006

Alex Herington wrote:

> In case anyone's interested, the project at hand (thus the hardware) is
> to build a magic box that will connect to a VLAN capable switch to act
> as a giant router that I can segregate up.

i put in a few of those at emnet in 2004, linked together by amusingly
shaped wireless equipment.  To the best of my knowledge they all still
work, although possibly through inertia rather than active maintenance.

I took some pictures of it, http://photos.marmot.org.uk/a/1435

Getting back to your network for a minute, where possible there's
redundancy in the weaker points, using VRRP or OSPF where appropriate.
You might want to think about that, you can use any old crap PC as a
backup.  To be honest, for routing a few office connections you'd not
touch the sides of a Pentium 90.

I'm getting all misty eyed now, thinking about pints of old speckled hen
in the newmarket.  If there's one thing I've not had in a while, it's a
decent pint of ale and a big fat pub meal.  Mmmmm.

Tom