[Nottingham] Server/SMP

Alex Herington alex at fnet.nu
Tue Apr 25 13:30:44 BST 2006

Tom Bird wrote:
> i put in a few of those at emnet in 2004, linked together by amusingly
> shaped wireless equipment.  To the best of my knowledge they all still
> work, although possibly through inertia rather than active maintenance.
>
> I took some pictures of it, http://photos.marmot.org.uk/a/1435

I remember John Wells coming to us to sell us Emnet connectivity! He
mentioned you :) We ended up not going that route because it would mean
giving all of our clients new public IPs. I remember being well
impressed with the network though!

> Getting back to your network for a minute, where possible there's
> redundancy in the weaker points, using VRRP or OSPF where appropriate.
> You might want to think about that, you can use any old crap PC as a
> backup.  To be honest, for routing a few office connections you'd not
> touch the sides of a Pentium 90.

Not a bad idea at all, especially considering it's not really going to
cost a lot to do. Tah!

Alex