[Nottingham] mod_rewrite problems

Haber Mike Mike.Haber at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Aug 3 10:42:27 BST 2006

Hi All,
I'm having some difficulty getting mod_rewite to work;
Apache 2.0 on debian sarge.

/etc/apache2/apache2.conf contains;

RewriteLog /var/log/apache2/rewrite.log
RewriteLogLevel 2

File permissions of log file;
-rw-r-----  1 root adm 0 2006-07-31 14:45 /var/log/apache2/rewrite.log

/etc/apache/sites-available/default contains

<Directory /var/www/>
                RewriteEngine on
                AllowOverride All
                Order allow,deny
                allow from all

                #RewriteRule   ^/$  /site/   [R]  # Doesn't work - no
log
                RedirectMatch   ^/$  /site/  [R]  # Works - no log
</Directory>

The examples taken above from the apache site, so I reckon they should
work OK, but there is no logging and while the RedirectMatch works fine,
the RewriteRule doesn't.
I'm trying to deliver content for www.server.com/ from
server:/var/www/site.
Any help appreciated.