[Nottingham] Introduction

richard richard at tollyboy.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 23 22:03:07 BST 2006

Thanks for the ideas Michael,

On Wednesday 23 August 2006 09:25, Michael Erskine wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 August 2006 20:53, richard wrote:
> > I had K-mail and GnuPG working very nicely together then I did apt-get
> > dist-upgrade and suddenly nothing works. (Silly me)
> > Kmail couldn't find  GnuPG to encrypt or sign the mail.
> > GnuPG couldn't find the keys
>
> One technique I've found useful when encountering problems after upgrade is
> to create a new user - the new user gets the default config for your
> applications.

Excellent idea. I have just tried this and it sort of works.
The new user can now sign and encrypt mail but still cannot decrypt it.

Signed mail Kmail opens it correctly and reports the right key details
Encrypted mail Kmail doesn't open it and reports bad passphrase.
Signed and Encrypted mail Kmail does not show that it was signed and reports
the same error message for decryption.

GnuPG decrypts the mail perfectly if the .asc file is saved and decrypted from
there.

> Then get the application feature working for the new user and
> compare the config files.

So where are the config file for Kmail? I can't find anything on the system
that makes a lot of sense, obviously looking in the wrong place.

> Sometimes an application config will change
> dramatically between versions. An alternative is to move the application
> config files to somewhere safe, configure the feature(s) and diff, but I
> find the new user technique is easier to spot new config files.

Might try that too when I have time.

Thanks for the ideas.

--

Regards