[Nottingham] RE: Re: Hardware sought (Chris Burton)

Jim Moore james at the-computer-shop.co.uk
Mon Dec 4 10:06:08 GMT 2006

You wrote (reply interspersed):
<snip>
http://www.icp-epia.co.uk/ have some Nano stuff. ICP used to do a 5 and 8
itx board rack mount a while ago but having a quick look I couldn't find
them on their site anymore.

yeah... had a look there a couple weeks ago. I'm building my own case, with
12V, KVM and ethernet rails built in - the boards'll be going in in aluminium
modules with whatever storage allocated to each in the same module. What I'm
ending up with is a low-power cluster with built-in redundancy.

<snip>

Are you sure they are going to be powerful enough? I have one of the quad
800Mhz itx rack mounts from linitx.com and to be honest I didn't find them
that powerful.

ChrisB.

Ooh, got any pix? My email account's binary-friendly...

I'm currently running one board (Epia-M 10000 1GHz/512MB/160GB) as a
resource/print server on my home net. I find it very responsive, running
MuLinux with Samba & cups. Hasn't put a foot wrong. OK, by itself, the 1GHz
chip is only as useful as, say, a Dell L400, but on saying that I've built
six-node clusters with less that have riddled all over 3GHz P4's in real-life
applications.

UPDATE: I have a Samsung VM7000 laptop (with no screen) (PIII/700MHz/128MB
[will be upgrading to 320MB)/10GB [will be upgrading to 80GB]) that I'll be
using as a controller node. Picked it up for a song on Saturday. Only reason
I did pick it up was because it comes with a CDROM drive built in. Rare for a
subnote. So, as of right now I've got the cluster up to two nodes and I
haven't even built the case yet!

Actually, I haven't configured a terminal server yet either; I'll likely get
to that tonight.
--
Linux Cluster Solutions -*- http://dotware.co.uk/
Registered Linux user #426308 -*- http://counter.li.org