[Nottingham] JDBC & CLASSPATH

Roger Light roger at atchoo.org
Mon Dec 11 17:21:02 GMT 2006

On 11/12/06, Martin Kirk <martin at applab.co.uk> wrote:

> If I go to a shell and type 'telnet 127.0.0.1 3306' I also get 'Connection
> Refused' - does this suggest that OS level security is preventing JDBC from
> making a socket connection ?  if so, how do i open it up ?

I think mysql uses file sockets by default, rather than network
sockets. Check /etc/mysql/my.cnf for the "bind-address" line. Mine is
uncommented and set to

bind-address                            = 127.0.0.1

You may also need to check for "port" lines to make sure that they are
uncommented as well. Don't forget to restart mysql.

I'm not entirely certain that'll do what you need, but give it a go.

Cheers,

Roger