[Nottingham] JDBC & CLASSPATH

Martin Kirk martin at applab.co.uk
Mon Dec 11 17:06:16 GMT 2006

On Monday 11 December 2006 15:11, Michael Erskine wrote:
> OpenOffice Base has some kickass database query-building and table
> designing tools. I use it to edit SQLServer databases from Linux using the
> jtds type4 jdbc driver.
>
> Under OpenOffice you can set the classpath used by Base.
>
> Regards,
> Michael Erskine.

Hi,

I've set the classpath in OO and if I click the 'Test Class' button in the
database connection wizard it says 'The JDBC driver was loaded successfully'.

I then enter my database details and click 'Test Connection' which gives...

SQL Status: 08S01
Communications link failure due to underlying exception:
MESSAGE: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused

If I go to a shell and type 'telnet 127.0.0.1 3306' I also get 'Connection
Refused' - does this suggest that OS level security is preventing JDBC from
making a socket connection ?  if so, how do i open it up ?

cheers,
Martin.