[Nottingham] Short cut to fix screen resolution

Peter Chang Peter.Chang at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Dec 14 13:43:30 GMT 2006

Iain,

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Moppett Iain wrote:
> -----
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> # run game
>
> res="$(xrandr -q|grep '^\*')"
> if [[ "${res:1:1}" != 0 ]]; then
>        xrandr -s 0
> Fi
>
> ---------
>
> Is there any need to include all the grep bits?  I have no idea what it
> means.  I assume that its looking for a regular expression, but it all
> seems abit complicated.

If you just execute "xrandr -q", you see that it lists the set of possible
screen resolutions. The grep is to get the active one indicated by an "*".
The (arithmetic) shell test, using a substring expansion, is to see if the
active resolution has an index of 0. If not, then the xrandr command is
executed.

So basically it's a method to avoid set the resolution to the first one
listed if the screen is already set at that.

hth,
Peter