[Nottingham] Laptop, non-working - anyone want it?

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Fri Feb 10 22:36:02 GMT 2006

Thought I'd offer this here first....

Compaq Armada 6500 laptop.  Pentium II, 300Mhz.  128Mb RAM.  CDROM.  Ethernet,
1xUSB, PS2, serial/parallel/screen ports all built in.  Also a built in modem
(but it's a winmodem of some sort).  Power supply included.

But...   non-working.  Fails to recognise the HDD on boot; keyboard does not
respond to any keypress.  It does pass its POST, though, so the memory is
probably OK.

Free to a good home, if anyone wants it.  Collect from Beeston.

I've not used it for quite a while - as I recall:

- there were increasing problems with the keyboard before the HDD problem
arose;
- the battery needs a bit of fiddling with from time to time to stay in place
(it's behaved very well this evening when I was trying to see if  could make
it work, though).
- The memory cover is held on with tape and if it comes loose the machine
(understandably!) gets upset.

This was the first machine I tried out with Linux - under Mandrake 10.1
everything worked (eventually: some people may remember me struggling with
it!), except the modem which I don't think I ever tried to get working.

If there's no interest over the weekend, I'll try the Freecycle list.

--
David Aldred