[Nottingham] Installing distros via the WWW

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Thu Feb 16 08:55:34 GMT 2006

On Thursday 16 February 2006 08:35, Joshua Lock wrote:
> I don't think it's quite as advanced as Martin L's dream but it's a
> step in the right direction surely???

Personally, I'm intrigued by the idea of Windows saving hibernation data into
a file, then restoring from that file. If you can trick Windows into
restoring from an Ubuntu hibernation file... You could essentially run the
Ubuntu installer out of there!

And the best part is, if it's just a simple boot.ini setting or flag to set,
it could be done really quite easily, and with almost no bugs whatsoever...

I would be interested to hear from a developer who knows the ins and outs of
the Windows XP subsystem, to see if this was feasible if indeed possible.

Matthew Walster