[Nottingham] Failing to install RPMs on Mandriva

Iain Lennon ril at doctors.org.uk
Tue Feb 21 15:39:45 GMT 2006

On Monday 20 February 2006 20:37, Iain Moppett wrote:
> Having successfully installed 64 bit Mandriva 2006, I now have a problem.
> I've tried to install Open Office 2.0 via the installation tarball,
> following the instructions to the letter, but although it goes through the
> 'preparing' ##### blurb quite happily, there is no Open Office at the end.
> Having unistalled OOO 1.5 to see if that helps, I can not reinstall that
> either!  When installing via rpmdrake, the installation hangs at 'verifying
> signatures'.  This problem does not occur with all rpms, but some others
> (kdelibs for one) hang in the same way.  I've tried leaving it for hours to
> no avail.
>
> I would post lots of error messages, but there are none coming up.  I don't
> know where to look for the clever ones, mind.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?

I've had RPM lockups using urpmi on a number of occasions: it appears to be
something to do with the scripts included in the RPM to configure your
system.

For example, I can't install the dkms-ati rpm as after installation it won't
compile properly on my machine. However URPMI or rpmdrake just hang during
installation as they wait for compilation to finish successfully.

Running the installation at the command line with "rpm -ivh package.rpm" at
least gives clues to why things are failing, as it should post some errors.

The other thought is to install the 32bit OOO as I understand from the
mandriva cooker list that the 64-bit compile is being a bit of a bugger.

--
Iain Lennon