[Nottingham] Dedicated hosting

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Sat Jan 28 11:30:41 GMT 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-28 at 11:45 +0100, Tom Bird wrote:
> ... until they got bought by Pipex and moved everything to London or
> Leeds, depending on what it was.

Leeds and Manchester, actually.

> I don't think the company has been truly "local" since the brothers
> Brealey sold up in, oh, 2000?

It wasn't a "local" company before the sale/merger - it wasn't actually
a "local" company from the off, considering that the original hosting
was all located in the USA and only when growth dictated did any real
technical operations start off in Nottingham. I don't think the
brothers, or any of the management after the buyout, ever had any
designs on it being a "local" company - their sights were always much,
much wider than that.

> It was before my time there anyway, I only ever knew it at Host Europe.
> I have no idea what is in that building these days, think Pipex still
> have it although none of the IP addresses seem to route there any more
> and they've given the old webfusion AS number back.

Yes, it is still part of the company. The customer facing production kit
all got relocated but there's still a sizable number of development,
admin and support staff located in both of the old buildings. The
datacentre, as it was, still exists physically but as Tom points out it
no longer logically exists as it did since AS12616 was merged into
AS5413 and handed back to RIPE for reallocation.

Moving back slightly on topic, the WebFusion & 123-Reg dev team are
still located in Nottingham so although the kit mightn't be there any
more, the people making it Do Stuff are. So it's sort of right to claim
localness, if that's what you want.

And being even more on topic, check out CWCS:

http://www.cwcs.net/

They also have a datacentre in Beeston, and offer a variety of
servers/services.

Graeme

Graeme