[Nottingham] Getting Xgl to work

Simon flibble at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 14:10:26 BST 2006

On 29/06/06, Hazel Windle <hazel at hazeldle.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm having a few problems getting Xgl working, I installed it fine (Xgl
> and compiz) and I turned it on. It says my card isn't in the database.
> I'm using Suse 10.1 with:
>
> A 1.7 GHZ Intel celeron processor
> 512mb ram
> Nvidia MX400 64mb graphics with 3d acceleration enabled.
>
> I'm using the graphics driver from the Nvidia website that I installed
> at the command prompt by switching runlevel and etc.

>From what I remember with my own system when trying XGL out a few months ago
is it doesn't work too well with older Nvidia cards. The latest nvidia
drivers definately do not support the Geforce2 MX400 on Linux (but they do
on Windows.. go figure) so you need to use the Nvidia legacy drivers. I'm
not sure how it is on Suse, but on Ubuntu you needed to mess around to get
XGL running with the legacy drivers at a decent speed.

If you really want XGL and at a decent speed, I suggest getting an ATI video
card. Anything 9550 or higher will work and I believe XGL will even work
with the free Xorg ATI drivers.

Simon